If you have a condo or townhouse, you have different insurance needs than the typical homeowner.

Not only do you own your individual condo, but you also share ownership in the common areas and overall structure of your building. If shared areas need upkeep and maintenance, your association will typically handle the expense through their insurance package. Although your association dues help pay for the upkeep of the common areas, they do not typically cover your personal property within your unit or your liability if someone is injured on your property.

Condo insurance provides protection where condo associations do not. Condo and town house coverage protects your possessions within your unit including furniture, appliances, kitchen and bath facilities and your personal items. If you plan on upgrading your unit, improvements you make can also be covered under your policy.