Wiseman Insurance Agency Blog
With all the natural disasters occuring lately... what disasters are covered by your Homeowners Insurance?
WHAT TYPES OF DISASTERS ARE COVERED?
Most Ohio Insurance policies for Homeowners cover the following:
1. Fire or Lightning
2. Windstorm or Hail
3. Damage caused by Aircraft
4. Damage caused by Vehicles
6. Vandalism & Malicious Mischielf
8. Volcanic Eruption
9. Falling Objects
10. Weight of Ice, Snow or Sleet
11. Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within plumbing, heating or cooling or household appliance
12. Sudden accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging of steam or hot water heating system, an air conditioning or automatic fire-protective system
13. Freezing of plumbing, heating or cooling or household appliance
14. Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current
15. All perils except flood, earthquake, war, nuclear accident. landslide, mudslide, sinkhole and others specified in your specific policy. Check your current policy or have one of our agents review to find a complete list of perils that are excluded.
WHAT DISASTERS ARE NOT COVERED?
Flood damage is excluded under standard homeowners and renters insurance policies. Flood coverage, however, is available in the form of a seperate policy. Flood insurance is available for renters as well as homeowners. You will need flood insurance if you live in a designated flood zone. But also consider buying it if you house could be flooded by melting snow, an overflowing creek or water running down a steep hill. Please don't wait until the expected flood is to occur. There is a 30 day waiting period before federal flood coverage takes effect.
Earthquake coverage can be added to your policy in the form of an edorsement. In high-risk areas such asCalifornia the deductible for this coverage is usually very high.
3. Damage due to lack of maintenance, mold, termite infestation and infestation from other pests.
It is your responsibility to take reasonable precautions to protect your home from damage.
4. Sewer Backups or the inability of sump pumps to handle runoff water from a major downpours are not covered under a typical insurance policy. But, in many cases this coverage can be added by endorsemet to your policy.
Please just note that natural disasters are happening everyday and are becoming more frequent. Don't wait until it is too late and the damage has already occured. Please contact one of our licensed agents to discuss what policy would be best for you and the exposure you may have to these disasters.